Separation Agreements

Guiding you Through Maryland Marital Settlement Agreements

A Marital Settlement Agreement is a legal contract that spells out your rights and obligations during a separation and divorce proceeding, as well as your post-divorce rights and obligations. The Marital Settlement Agreement is incorporated into a court-issued Judgment of Absolute Divorce–making it enforceable by the court that issued the Judgment.

At the Law Offices of Corrie A. Boulay, our legal team expertly guides you through the negotiation and preparation of comprehensive Marital Settlement Agreements, providing you with both an amicable resolution to your marriage and the security of an enforceable contract.

An Alternative to Contested Divorce Trials

Negotiated Marital Settlement Agreements allow parties to resolve all issues arising out of their marriage on their own terms, rather than leaving important financial and family decisions in the hands of a Judge who has limited exposure to the parties’ own unique circumstances. Marital Settlement Agreements can resolve a variety of issues, such as:

  • Who will live in the marital residence
  • Who will pay mortgage and car payments
  • How marital property will be divided
  • Whether, and if so how much, alimony will be paid
  • How custody of the children will be handled
  • How much visitation a non-custodial parent will have

Divorce After Settlement

Entering into a comprehensive Marital Settlement Agreement allows parties to proceed with an uncontested absolute divorce proceeding after they have been separated for twelve consecutive months (or immediately after the Agreement is signed if the parties do not have minor children in common). An uncontested absolute divorce proceeding is a much simpler, healthier, and more amicable way for two people to end their marriage. Instead of spending one or more days arguing their case before a family court Judge the parties will instead spend fifteen to twenty minutes offering brief uncontested testimony.

Free Attorney Consultation

We offer free initial consultations to discuss your family law issues. To talk with a family lawyer at our firm by phone or at our offices, call 410-964-9622 for our Columbia, Maryland office or 410-268-2488 for our Annapolis, Maryland office, or fill out our contact form.

5-Star Rated Attorneys

Corrie A BoulayReviewsout of 3 reviews
Google Rating

Contact Us

If you’d like a free consultation, please start by completing the form below. For solicitors, please note that we are NOT interested in solicitations of any kind!

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

What Our Clients Are Saying About Us

Mandy Mascetti
Mandy Mascetti
15:23 04 Feb 19
I worked with Alicia Smollon. She was fantastic to work with and always responded quickly. I am very pleased with my outcome during a difficult situation.
nancy dwyer
nancy dwyer
05:03 09 Oct 18
Alicia Smollon was my lawyer for a divorce proceeding involving me and my husband of 26 years. She provided me with exceptional advice and proposed timely actions. I was very pleased with her service. So pleased, in fact, that when a subsequent dispute arose regarding some specific terms of my divorce settlement, I asked Alicia once again to help achieve a resolution. She was (1) very helpful, (2) very understanding, and (3) won every argument in my favor. I cannot say enough about her, both as a confidant and a lawyer. Should i need a lawyer in the future, Alicia will be my first choice.
Sarah Hemmer
Sarah Hemmer
19:27 22 May 18
I worked with Alicia and she was always quick, attentive and clear in her communication. I have also consulted with her on going and she continues to provide the same service for additional family matters.
Nii Oryee
Nii Oryee
21:01 01 May 18
My experience with the Law Offices of Corrie Boulay was excellent. I am a non-US citizen faced with an extremely complex case in Maryland Courts. Ms. Corrie Boulay and Ms. Alicia Smollon and their team delivered fantastic service for me with excellent outcomes on two different occasions.They were very compassionate, responsive to my case and their fees were very reasonable. First-class Law Firm, excellent, skilled and compassionate lawyering.I was very lucky to have them representing me.Dr. J.ACanada
Deborah Marshall
Deborah Marshall
13:42 29 Dec 17
Alicia was a delight to work with and helped us through every step of the adoption process. Would highly recommend!
Pat Mitchell
Pat Mitchell
19:01 27 Dec 17
If it wasn’t bad enough to have to hire a divorce lawyer, the Law Offices of Corrie A. Boulay, LLC, came to my rescue. I was, and still am, very impressed with my attorney, Alicia Smollon. Her skills and knowledge regarding the handling of my divorce was extraordinaire. She’s attentive, professional and has a way of making you feel more at ease when discussing sensitive issues. She has been responsive to my emails, as well as all my concerns.
Caryn K
Caryn K
21:13 26 Dec 17
Alicia Smollon did a great job helping us with adoption finalization. She was sensitive to our need to complete the process within a certain timeline, and everything went smoothly.
Erica Dellinger
Erica Dellinger
21:28 18 Dec 17
love themThey are very family friendly and will do everything to ensure you are treated fairly and respectfully.
Christine Wilson
Christine Wilson
16:36 06 Sep 17
This is the second time I have used this Law Firm and both experiences were great! Very knowledgeable about Family Law and very professional during negotiations. This is the kind of firm you want to represent you!
See All Reviews