Division Of Marital Property

Helping You Divide Marital Property in Maryland

If all families were the same, you wouldn’t need a lawyer’s help to divide marital property. You would simply split all of your assets and debts down the middle. However, the finances of married couples are never that simple.

At the Law Offices of Corrie A. Boulay, our lawyers help our clients protect their separate property and obtain a fair division of marital property and debts.

Equitable Division Does Not Always Mean 50-50

Maryland is an equitable division state when it comes to marital property. This means marital property is divided by weighing various factors and circumstances that existed in the marriage to arrive at a fair outcome. The factors can include the length of the marriage, earning potential of the parties, child custody arrangements if applicable, and various other considerations.

Martial property division can be stressful and complex. The current housing market can make it difficult and time-consuming to value and divide real estate. If you or your spouse owns a business, it will need to be accurately valued. Retirement benefits such as 401(k) accounts and pension plans will need to be divided using a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). Debts such as credit card bills and outstanding loans must also be divided in an equitable manner.

Free Attorney Consultation

We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your family law issue. To talk with a family lawyer at our firm by phone or at our offices, call 410-964-9622 for our Columbia office or 410-268-2488 for our Annapolis, Maryland office, or fill out our contact form.

Contact Us

If you’d like a free consultation, please start by completing the form below. For solicitors, please note that we are NOT interested in solicitations of any kind!

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.