Military Family Law

Unlike a civilian divorce, military divorce is a very different process. Although military divorce and other military family law issues are not decided in a military court, they are decided in state courts and different laws from those triggered in a civilian divorce or other family law action may come into play.

More importantly, not all Maryland military family law attorneys are experienced in military divorce. Military families contemplating divorce should seek out lawyers who understand these differences and have experience with them. At the Law Offices of Corrie A. Boulay, we know what is involved in these matters and we represent men and women who need this type of skilled assistance.

Serving Baltimore Service Members in Family Law and Divorce Matters

We serve military personnel and their spouses at:

The Difference in Military Family Law

Unlike typical divorce filings, the stipulated time that someone has to inform the other party of their intention to file is different if the service member is on active duty and in theater. The Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA) allows a service member to postpone the proceedings for 90 days or longer.

We understand the need to keep divorce from affecting one’s career or security clearance. We also understand the unique challenges of dividing military pensions and benefits. Under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act, or USFSPA, only the state where the military member lives has the power to divide the military pension in a divorce. We understand where to file a divorce action so a court has the authority to divide the pension.

Service members are also required by law to provide adequate child support. Every branch of the armed forces (except the Air Force) has its own rules on how much must be paid. Our military family law attorney’s know how to navigate these child support guidelines to make sure a fair amount is arrived at that covers the needs of the children.

Free Attorney Consultation

We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your family law issue. To talk with a family lawyer at our firm by phone or at our offices, call 410-964-9622 for our Columbia office or 410-268-2488 for our Annapolis, Maryland office, or fill out our contact form.

Contact Us

If you’d like a free consultation, please start by completing the form below. For solicitors, please note that we are NOT interested in solicitations of any kind!

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.