[vc_row full_width=”stretch_row” equal_height=”yes”][vc_column][vc_column_text]Maryland law provides that both parents have a legal obligation to financially support their child. In cases where parents do not share the same household this legal obligation can be enforced through a regular monthly payment from one parent to the other. In most cases, payments are made by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent.

Despite the law, obtaining the support your child is legally entitled to can be an overwhelming process. The Law Offices of Corrie A. Boulay are here to expertly guide you through the child support process from start to finish. Our law office will tailor our assistance to your particular needs and circumstances. You may request a free attorney consultation to discuss your case, and how we can help.  We are experts in Child Custody, Visitation and Child Support Family Law.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”How is child support calculated?” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Maryland uses a statutorily mandated formula (the Maryland Child Support Guidelines) to calculate child support. The most common data applied to the Maryland Child Support Guidelines include: the number of children the parents have in common; the amount of income each parent earns on a monthly basis, before deductions; the number of overnights the child is with each parent; the monthly cost of work related child care; and the monthly cost of health insurance for the child.

Once these figures are applied the Maryland Child Support Guidelines formula provides an amount to be paid to the receiving parent. Maryland courts follow the Child Support Guidelines strictly, and will only deviate from the suggested support amount in limited special circumstances.
[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”Establishing a child support order.” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Legally enforceable child support is established when an Order setting a monthly obligation amount is entered by a Maryland Circuit Court. A parent seeking child support begins the process of obtaining an Order by filing a Complaint for Child Support with the Circuit Court in the county (including Baltimore City) where his or her child lives.

If no custody or visitation Order exists then a parent seeking child support may wish to file a Complaint for Custody along with child support. The Law Offices of Corrie A. Boulay can assist you in deciding which path is most appropriate for your particular circumstances.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”Modification of child support.” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Child support obligations may be changed by filing a Motion to Modify Child Support. In order to obtain a modification, the parent seeking the change must be able to show that one or both parent’s circumstances have substantially changed from the time the previous Order was issued. Substantial changes may be financial in nature (including loss of employment, a large increase in monthly wages, or a large decrease in monthly wages) or may be related to custody and visitation if there has been a change in the amount of time the child spends with each parent.

A parent who intends to request a modification of child support should seek competent advise regarding his or her particular circumstances and whether a court is likely to grant a request.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”Enforcing a child support order.” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Once a child support Order has been issued by a Maryland Circuit Court, the paying parent must make his or her payment each month. If a monthly payment is not made, the parent receiving child support can enforce the obligation by filing a Petition for Contempt with the Circuit Court that issued the original Order.

Any unpaid support can be added as an “arrearage” payment, meaning the parent paying support will pay an additional monthly amount until all past-due support is paid in full.

Parents who regularly experience difficulty collecting their monthly child support payments may wish to seek entry of an Earnings Withholding Order. An Earnings Withholding Order results in the parent paying support having his or her monthly obligation deducted directly from his or her paycheck; the deducted amount is then paid to the receiving parent by the Child Support Enforcement Administration.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height=”15px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row full_width=”stretch_row” css=”.vc_custom_1513459494048{padding-top: 15px !important;padding-bottom: 5px !important;background-image: url(https://md-familylawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/background-image.jpg?id=1731) !important;background-position: center !important;background-repeat: no-repeat !important;background-size: cover !important;}”][vc_column][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”Frequently Asked Child Support Questions” font_container=”tag:h2|font_size:24|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”15px”][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”When does child support end?” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Most commonly, a child support obligation will end when a child reaches age 18. If a child is still enrolled in high school when he or she turns 18, then the support obligation will continue until the child graduates high school or turns 19, whichever is sooner.

Child support obligations may end in other limited circumstances, including when a child becomes emancipated or in the event of a child’s death.
[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”Can I waive child support?” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Maryland law provides that it is the child’s right–not the parent’s right–to receive child support. As such, Maryland does not permit a waiver of child support, even in cases where the paying parent has no contact with the child.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”What if the non-custodial parent is out-of-state?” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Federal law provides for states to cooperate with the collection of child support obligations through the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. Our attorneys can assist you in navigating the proper channels to establish, or enforce, an out-of-state obligation.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”Is child support tax deductible?” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]Child support is not counted as income for the receiving party, nor is it deductible by the paying party.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading stripe_pos=”hide” text=”I’m not a biological parent, can I receive child support?” font_container=”tag:h4|text_align:center|color:%23000000″ use_theme_fonts=”yes” stripe_hide=”yes” subtitle_color=”#000000″][vc_column_text]A party providing care for his or her non-biological child may be able to obtain child support from one or both natural parents. Obtaining support would require obtaining a legal guardianship or custody order for the child.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height=”15px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row css=”.vc_custom_1596550774746{padding-top: 20px !important;}”][vc_column][vc_separator][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”20px”][vc_custom_heading text=”What Our Clients Are Saying About Us” font_container=”tag:h3|font_size:24|text_align:left” use_theme_fonts=”yes”][vc_column_text]

Great Attorney, Highly recommend to anyone.
Joshua Ruby
Judy Beck
Alicia Smollon is a wonderful attorney! She handles herself exceptionally well with the proper tone when needed; calm, aggressive, and assertive when... the situation calls for it. She is easy to speak to and understanding to the uniqueness of each situation. I would absolutely use her again as my attorney!The stuff you want to know about Alicia: timely, fair billing, open communication, and delivers on-time with exceptional work products.read more
Brittany Clack
Simply put... Corrie Boulay is amazing! She is very well-skilled in her craft and I am more than happy with the outcome of my recent case. She... handled the entire process with honesty, professionalism and grace. I am so thankful for Corrie and highly recommend her services to anyone dealing with a Family Law matter!read more
Corrie Boulay has over two decades of experience in family law, which served me extremely well as I went through my divorce. Her knowledge of the... law, professionalism, diligence, and attention to detail ensured that my interests were well-represented and led to a very favorable outcome. Corrie and her team were very responsive and great to work with! I highly recommend her services to anyone with a family law matter!read more
Thomas Cagle
Ms. Alicia Smollon is very professional. Alicia worked on my complicated divorce/child custody case. She was very dedicated and provided me with... timely communication. Alicia always answered all my questions and fought hard for me outside and inside the courtroom. Alicia is very organized and very knowledgeable in regards to divorce and child custody proceedings. I felt very confident and informed in making the best decisions for myself and my child through her guidance and she truly supported me throughout the entire process. I would definitely use her services if needed in the future.read more
Valerie Nowak
Mrs. Alicia Smollon is the most expensive friend i've ever had, and she is worth every penny! I couldnt imagine having gone through this experience... with any other lawyer. She fights for you while also caring for you as a person, not just a client. I will be recommending her to everyone i know.read more
Catherine Oltman
I worked with Alicia Smollon. She was fantastic to work with and always responded quickly. I am very pleased with my outcome during a difficult... situation.read more
Mandy Mascetti
I worked with Alicia and she was always quick, attentive and clear in her communication. I have also consulted with her on going and she continues... to provide the same service for additional family matters.read more
Sarah Hanford
My experience with the Law Offices of Corrie Boulay was excellent. I am a non-US citizen faced with an extremely complex case in Maryland Courts. Ms.... Corrie Boulay and Ms. Alicia Smollon and their team delivered fantastic service for me with excellent outcomes on two different occasions.They were very compassionate, responsive to my case and their fees were very reasonable. First-class Law Firm, excellent, skilled and compassionate lawyering.I was very lucky to have them representing me.Dr. J.ACanadaread more
Nii Oryee
Mary Helton
Alicia was a delight to work with and helped us through every step of the adoption process. Would highly recommend!
Deborah Marshall
If it wasn’t bad enough to have to hire a divorce lawyer, the Law Offices of Corrie A. Boulay, LLC, came to my rescue. I was, and still am, very... impressed with my attorney, Alicia Smollon. Her skills and knowledge regarding the handling of my divorce was extraordinaire. She’s attentive, professional and has a way of making you feel more at ease when discussing sensitive issues. She has been responsive to my emails, as well as all my concerns.read more
Pat Mitchell
Alicia Smollon did a great job helping us with adoption finalization. She was sensitive to our need to complete the process within a certain... timeline, and everything went smoothly.read more
Caryn K
Samuel Payne
love themThey are very family friendly and will do everything to ensure you are treated fairly and respectfully.
Erica Dellinger
I have been using Corrie and Alicia for close to 15 years and have recommended them to family and friends over and over. It was always clear to me... how personally invested they were in helping me and my children. They exhibit the highest level of professionalism and a clear understanding of family law and court processes. They are not cut-throat nor do they stoke emotions for a profit. They are compassionate, intellectual, success driven and seemingly always available. I wished that I never needed their services but I am eternally grateful to have had them supporting me through unarguably the most difficult set of circumstances that I have had to deal with.read more
Mike Walker
Corrie Boulay and her team are very professional as well as caring. They made sure they communicated each step of the process so that I understood... what to expect. I have recommended Corrie Boulay to others who have needed these services.read more
Ann Bromery
This is the second time I have used this Law Firm and both experiences were great! Very knowledgeable about Family Law and very professional during... negotiations. This is the kind of firm you want to represent you!read more
Christine Wilson
Geoffrey Luiz
Really knows her stuff What deafly recommend to anybody that needs an attorney for this type of work
A Google User
jessique gunn
[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height=”20px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row css=”.vc_custom_1502974123949{margin-right: 0px !important;margin-left: 0px !important;padding-top: 23px !important;padding-right: 35px !important;padding-bottom: 23px !important;padding-left: 35px !important;background-color: #f2f2f2 !important;}”][vc_column][vc_empty_space][vc_custom_heading text=”Contact Us” font_container=”tag:h4|font_size:24|text_align:left” use_theme_fonts=”yes”][vc_column_text]If you’d like a free consultation, please start by completing the form below. For solicitors, please note that we are NOT interested in solicitations of any kind![/vc_column_text]

Call Now